Coffee is one of the most popular beverages worldwide. For many people, coffee is the only reason they get out of bed in the morning. Because so many people enjoy it, there are a huge variety of ways to make coffee including French presses, percolators, automatic drip brewers, and more.
One of the newer methods of making coffee is using a single-cup coffee maker. These types of machines generally make one cup at a time and are small enough to take up very little counter space. They are also relatively inexpensive, with most costing less than $100.
There are 2 main types of Best single cup coffee makers: ones that use disposable coffee cartridges and ones that are more of the traditional type of machine where you have to put your own grounds onto a filter. The latter of which is more similar to how automatic drip machines work, just on a smaller scale for one cup instead of many.
Both types have their benefits. Disposable brewers are very simple to use with little cleanup, but they are also more expensive over time. They also do not work with any type of coffee besides their own brand which is usually ground finely for maximum freshness and maximum caffeine content.
The more traditional single-cup brewers that allow you to use your own grounds can be easier to clean but will result in a lower quality tasting drink overall. If you like to drink flavored coffees then this will be made worse because you cannot use any utensils to mix things around during the brewing process.
These types of machines are becoming increasingly popular, not just among caffeinated college students but also for regular people who just want a fresh cup quickly without having to make an entire pot. They are great for people who live alone, small families, or just anyone who wants to have a cup before heading out the door. For this reason, they are being used more and more frequently in offices as well.
Before purchasing one of these machines it is important that you understand exactly what each kind can do so you will be able to choose the best single cup coffee maker under $100 for you and your needs. Here are some of the top picks for the best single cup coffee maker under $100:
Silver Cuisinart DCC-3200 14-Cup Glass Carafe Programmable Coffeemaker with Stainless Steel Handle
The Cuisinart DCC-3200 is one of the most popular single-cup brewers. With its 14-cup capacity, it is great for people living alone or with small families. The stainless steel exterior will look great in any kitchen and can be cleaned easily if something does get spilled on it.
The carafe itself has a nonstick warming plate to keep your coffee hot without having to do any extra work. It is also detachable so you can easily take it out and clean everything by hand or in the dishwasher.
The machine comes with a charcoal water filter and gold-tone commercial-style permanent filter. It also has an automatic shutoff that can be set to turn off at any point from 0-4 hours, meaning that it will not start burning your coffee if you forget about it. In addition, it also has a self-clean function with a 2-hour automatic shutoff.
The DCC-3200 also has a 24-hour programmable clock and timer so you can wake up with fresh coffee, or set it to automatically brew any time of the day.
- Includes charcoal water filter and gold-tone commercial-style permanent filter
- Comes with a nonstick warming plate
- Easy to Use
- 60-sec reset function to recall the previous setting
- The carafe can sometimes leak, even when still sealed tightly
- Light indicator for carafe can be hard to see if you have poor eyesight
- Brewing is slower than normal
- Important to change the filter often
- Lots of steam comes out from the top
Black Home Coffee Brewer 10-Cup BUNN GRB Velocity Brew
The BUNN GRB Velocity Brew is a great choice for the best single-cup coffee maker under $100 if you are looking for speed. It can brew up to 10 cups in only 3 minutes, which is much faster than most other options out there.
This machine has no bells and whistles but it does have a stainless steel exterior that makes it great for kitchen use. It comes with a large decanter so you will not have to worry about constantly refilling your cup or travel mug while enjoying fresh coffee in the morning.
The BUNN GRB Velocity Brew is definitely one of the best single-cup brewers under $100 if you are looking to get started quickly, without any hassle. It is the ideal choice for people who are not into having lots of extras or features on their machine.
- Brews up to 10 cups in 3 minutes
- Can brew 4-20 oz cups at a time
- Stylish stainless steel exterior looks great in any kitchen
- The carafe is designed to keep coffee hot without any work
- Uses regular #4 paper filters
- Great quality, sturdy construction
- Not programmable in any way
- No digital display or features of any kind
- Only brews 4-20 oz cups at a time – no options for normal coffee cup size. You can only choose small or large-sized mugs when brewing.
- Overflowing problems
2-Way Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer & Full Pot Coffee Maker (49980A)
The Hamilton Beach 49980A is a great choice for those who want a single-cup brewer with the option to have a full pot of coffee as well. This machine comes with two separate water tanks, one that can be used for regular coffee cups and one that is designed for travel mugs or large mugs.
This machine offers you the option to pour yourself a hot cup of coffee without making the whole pot. It is also very easy to clean because you can separate parts like the water reservoir and drip tray, or even detach them completely for washing by hand or in the dishwasher.
This machine is definitely one of the best single-cup brewers under $100 if you are looking for something that serves coffee the traditional way as well.
- Easy to clean removable parts water reservoirs, drip tray/grinder basket, and lids
- Can use any size of a paper filter
- Extremely affordable
- Two separate water reservoirs for regular-sized cups and travel mugs/oversized mugs
- Brew up to 12 cups at a time – great for larger families and groups of people
- Absence of digital display
- Slower than most single-cup brewers
- No programmable timer
- Loud grinding noise when brewing
- Short power cord
Black/Silver 12 Cup Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central Programmable Coffeemaker
Cuisinart DCC-1200 is another great choice for the best single-cup coffee maker under $100. This machine is one of the easiest to use, with some digital display options that allow you to choose different features like clock time or automatic interval start. You can also set the Cuisinart DCC-1200 to go off at any hour using its programmable timer.
One of the things that makes this coffee maker really special is its charcoal water filter. It helps remove contaminants from drinking water to give you a richer, natural taste without any chemicals or additives. This machine also has some great safety features so it will turn off on its own after 2 hours if you forget to do it yourself.
This machine is definitely one of the best single-cup brewers under $100 and is a great addition to any kitchen.
- Can brew up to 12 cups, with adjustable settings for smaller servings (4-10 oz)
- Great safety features like automatic shutoff after 2 hours or when water runs out in the reservoir
- Digital display options with clock and temperature control settings
- Charcoal water filter for better-tasting coffee and healthier drinking water
- No carafe included (must be purchased separately)
- No programmable timer
- Extra paper filters required
- The hot plate turns off after brewing
Black, Programmable FlexBrew Coffee Maker by Hamilton Beach (49976), Single Serve & Full Coffee Pot
FlexBrew Coffee Maker by Hamilton Beach (49976) is perfect for those who want something that can do it all. With its two separate water reservoirs, it is able to make both regular-sized cups of coffee and full pots at the same time. This machine comes with a special “FlexBrew” cup that is designed to brew smaller servings without using any extra paper filters.
It also has some special settings that allow it to customize your cup of coffee. The first setting is “regular”, which is perfect for regular-sized cups and carafes. It also has another setting, “bold”, which can be used for larger mugs or travel mugs.
Even though this machine cannot make multiple single cups at the same time, it is a great choice because it can make both single cups as well as large pots without any problems.
- Can brew single cups or full-sized carafes
- Hi-tech design with multiple settings for different types of servings
- Brews at three different temperature settings – hot, medium, and mild
- Carafe has an automatic shut off after 2 hours so you don’t have to worry about it
- Can choose between regular-sized cups/carafes, travel mugs, or oversized mugs
- No programmable timer – must be turned on manually
- A short power cord that is not retractable
- Weak and inconsistent coffee
- No built-in water filter
- Non-removable parts and filters cannot be washed in a dishwasher
On a concluding note, the budget-savvy single-cup coffee machine is one of the best things to ever come out of the modern appliance industry. They are not only good for making coffee but also look really great sitting on a kitchen countertop or in other similar spaces.
With that said, it is always a wise idea to do a little bit more research if you really want to find the perfect single-cup coffee maker for yourself or a loved one. This is why we have created this buying guide and interesting article on the best single cup coffee machines under $100. There is no shortage of information when it comes to these devices, all you really need is some guidance. Keep your eyes peeled and your wallet ready and happy buying.